Monday, July 16, 2007

On Marriage And The Home

I have been hearing a lot on marriage which has got me thinking about my on marriage. I don't want to go into a lot of details but I can say that my husband and I have been through some tough stuff in our 5 years of marriage. We have experienced loss of loved ones as well as the loss of a child. As in any marriage, we've experienced some major disagreements and even went as far as separation. Through it all, we've stuck it out and prayed for God to heal the hurt,which He is doing little by little .
My husband was a christian when I met him and I thank God that He sent him for me to spend my life with. We actually met in church. When we met I had a son from my previous marriage that he accepted as his own and later adopted. We also have a 4 yr old daughter and a son on the way. He recently went to a mens retreat called promise keepers. He came back a different man with much higher values. He is not perfect of course," who is?", and he has a long way to go, "as we all do", but he is trying so hard.
He brought the tape of this retreat home and asked me to watch it with him. So we sat down to watch it together. I thought it was awesome. They spoke alot about marriage and it really hit home. My husband and I found ourselves weeping together, laughing together, and loving every moment of it.
One of the speakers spoke about raising children and about what our home is supposed to symbolize to our children. He said something that really meant alot to me, " Does your home symbolize a little piece of heaven or a little piece of hell?" When your children are grown what will they remember? What will they relate to easier, heaven or hell? That really has me thinking about how I handle my marriage and my children. I want my children to know that Christ is the head of our family. I want them to look to God first in everything they do. I want them to learn it from my husband and I first.
The speaker said that if you are serious about your marriage make it known. He said that they have started a survey at http://www.winningathome.com/ that they would like to get one million people to sign that says they will stay married to their spouse for life. It is free so if you feel as strong as I do on the matter take a moment to put your name on it. The website is really cool to read too, they have jokes and stories everyday. I hope you have time. Thanks so much for reading my post even though it was so long.

2 comments:

Sharon Brumfield said...

You are a sweetie.
Good writing girl.
I will go on over and sign the survey.
I pray that one day you and Wayne will e able to stand in the gap for another couple.
Remember us taking ya'll to dinner at Copelands? Maybe one day you will be able to do that for a young married couple.
With our God all things are possible.

Shelly said...

Thank you for your sweet and tender comment on my blog. I felt those tender thoughts from all of you women today. The Lord totally used it.

And I loved reading about your authentic heart for your family and marriage. Your God will honor that girlfriend!